Monday, March 9, 2009

Machakos - March 8th

Today John picked me up. We went to a church a mile from where Dave lives. A Canadian missionary preached from 1 Tim 2. The service ended with a call to pledges – a typical thing in Nairobi. Giving is a very public thing here.

We went to a game reserve and then lunch. It was right out of a movie. Land owned by some Brits who have had it for years. The food was great. The animals were good to see.

Scott College is nestled on the some foothills outside Machakos. It is a beautiful campus. There are pastors here from Rwanda, Sudan, Kenya, Congo and Tanzania. Many work in Muslim communities. John and I shared the night talking about the struggles in East Africa. The churches need to meet the need through health care, justice issues, labor skills and gospel preaching (exactly what Dave does). John’s house is great – very open and comfortable.

There are a lot of woman “pastors” in Kenya. They distinguish between pastors and reverends. I am not sure how to think about this issue in my own theology.

I pray tomorrows message will come with the power of the Spirit – that there will be real ministry done. I want to be relevant to the issues at hand and not bring my western baggage to the mix. I am looking forward to learning tomorrow.

No comments: