Saturday, December 6, 2008

My Journey on Christmas

Like some, I grew up going to church that preached nothing. Easter and Christmas services were packed, but beyond that, there was no church. One Christmas, the pastor came to the front and said - "Happy Easter." It was not a purposeful mistake - his next statement "I just got confused because the crowd is so big."

Later I became a Christian and Christmas became a sad time for me. I would look around and feel so guilty about my past. I ignored Christ in the past. I had treasured all the gifts I was to be getting. When I did not get what I wanted I would be upset. Now, when I got a gift I was upset. What a strange thing to be so angry at the world and those around me that I could not enjoy Christmas.

It was a false humility - doing something in the name of godliness. It was pride - a very self righteous type. Thinking I was sticking up for God I was arrogant. Someone would offer a gift and there was no thankful heart. Christ had come to earth, but I was upset no one noticed.

But then something changed. I am not sure exactly what happen - maybe I just realized I was a fool. I was commanded to rejoice and now I would. I would be thankful for His coming. I would tell others of His gift. I could receive gifts with thanks knowing the Savior knew my heart.

What a strange thing to be angry at Christmas.

Pastor Darren

No comments: