Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chester I'm sharing a letter with you that I received from my brother after his dog died this morning. My brother is a pastor and he ministers to people on a weekly basis who are either grieving the loss of someone close or they themselves are dying. I have seen him pray with, weep with, and comfort those who are hurting. My brother, within the last four years, has lost two son-in-laws, one to cancer and the other as a result of a truck accident... death is not foreign to him. But this morning he shared his grief with the loss of his best friend, “Chester”. He uses this experience to encourage us to stop and not take for granted the people in our lives...those we have worshiped with, worked with, built a relationship with and mentored… take no one for granted and appreciate those people the Lord has placed in your life.

Dear Friends,
My buddy and four legged companion of 11 ½ years, Chester, died early this morning. Ann and I tried to make him as comfortable as possible before going to bed last night. I just knew this was his last night with us so I lay next to him, until about midnight and talked to him about some of the things we did together over the past 11 plus years. I know it's sentimental, but I thanked him for his faithfulness and companionship all these years. I recalled, as he listened, and I talked, the fishing trips we did together, the dozens of walks in the woods, and how many hundreds of sticks I threw, which he retrieved (but which he never liked to give back!). I thought of all the places I went, with him faithfully by my side. I recall, even now, building this house, and no matter which side of the house I was working on or what I was doing, he was there, literally, right by my side. As I wrapped him up and carried him out his morning I cried. The reality is my eyes are tear-filled even now. Some of you can’t relate to my reflections or my sadness but many of you can. And while these may seem like the ruminations of a grieving man they are also the reflections of a grateful man. Strange as it may sound, God used Chester to teach me lessons about faithfulness, loyalty, keeping a positive attitude and about never biting the hand that feeds you. I used "Chester examples" many times in sermons. He was a great teacher. One final thought. Just one year ago we got another dog, a black lab, we named Maddie. Chester has been a great teacher to Maddie. Among others things, Chester has taught Maddie to bark and not to bite and to stay at home. And while we have grown fond of Maddie no other dog can take the place of our faithful companion, Chester. Maddie even now, misses Chester as she wanders around the house, looking, sniffing and whining for her mentor. What she doesn’t realize yet, is that the baton has been passed on to her. Is she up to the challenge? I believe so. She had a great mentor. And while these have been reflections of a man and his “best friend” think about them as they relate to your own human relationships and the lives you touch every day.
Blessings.
Loren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. That is so incredibly moving!